Hey nomads! Are you planning for Kilimanjaro for the next venture some destination? Then you should be aware of the Kilimanjaro Porters, who are the energy saver of all the travelers. They are the mountain crew members who help you in carrying your luggage to the Kilimanjaro Summit. They keep encouraging you throughout Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
“Porters are the spine of every Kilimanjaro trekkers.”
What Are The Kilimanjaro Porters Do?
Kilimanjaro Porters are the residents of Africa who have come here for their livelihood. They depend for their livelihood on the money they earn from the visitors of Kilimanjaro. During your journey, you will be assigned by several Kilimanjaro Porters, depending upon the size of the group. The work responsibility of a Kilimanjaro porter is as follows.
- Trekking on Africa’s highest free-standing mountain is not easy and with all the luggage, camp equipment etc. is impossible. Porters are there to help you with this. They carry all your luggage along with the tent/camp equipment, food, portable toilet everything.
- They go with you and arrange your camp each day for the night halt. Every morning after your tent is broken, they rush to grab the next destination to make the camp for your next halt.
- Some toilet porters make a portable latrine for travelers as Kilimanjaro has no plumbing of course.
- Food porters arrange delicious African cuisine for you.
- Moreover, the constantly keep encouraging you during your trek. It is the best mental support you will get from a Kilimanjaro porter.
According to the Kilimanjaro Safety trekking along the high steeps of the Roof of Africa, Kilimanjaro is prohibited.
How Much Can Porters Carry On Kilimanjaro?
- When you heard that the Kilimanjaro Porters are the persons who carry your luggage, the first question that comes to your mind is, How Much Can Porters Carry on Kilimanjaro? There is a weight limit of 15kg. They can carry 15 kg of yours and 5 kg of their own.
- If you have more luggage then you can hire more porters but no porter is allowed to carry more than 20kg on his head.
- If you are climbing Mount Kilimanjaro solo then you need a minimum of 2-3 porters, if you are in a group then according to your need you can hire several porters.
How Much Do Kilimanjaro Porters Get Paid?
Traditionally Kilimanjaro Porters are the poor African local people who depend on the tips by travelers for their livelihood. There was no salary or compulsory tipping system, which led to porter’s exploitation. Do you ever realize How Much Do Kilimanjaro Porters Get Paid? Let’s have a look at Kilimanjaro Porter Tips.
- Keeping porters away from exploitation, an agency was created in 2003, whose name is Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP) for the welfare of the porters.
- They fix a fixed amount of salary of 20000Tsh per day but it is not at all adequate for their livelihood. So they depend on tips given by travelers.
- If you gift them a tip of $6 to $10 then in total they will get 30000Tsh which is quite manageable for a family.
- The tipping of the porters is done by the hospitality they offer.
Travel With Kilele Climb Tours For A Best Kilimanjaro Trip
A friendly face in Tanzania, on a height of 6000 feet gives you the family feeling. Porters are the real backbone of the Kilimanjaro trekkers. Kilimanjaro without Porters is just impossible. We at Kilele Climb Tours have some hand-picked experienced porters who have the maximum Kilimanjaro Success Rate during a Kilimanjaro climbing. There are some exciting offers for all intrepid travelers. So choose your Best Time to Climb Mount Kilimanjaro and pack your bags.
Hurry up, guys!
Contact us and get an expert solution to your queries.